Share this Post
here’s what we’re making
I think of this craft as a merit badge. It would be a really neat way to recognize a recent or future achievement for a kid. Letting go of something in order to take a step toward growth? Embracing a new challenge? Being brave? We’ve got a patch for that.
here’s what you’ll need
let’s get started!
1. First you need your leaf shape. Trace a leaf from the cover of Little Tree with a marker onto a piece of paper. Then trace it onto your fabric lightly with pencil by using a window as a light box. (Or you can freehand instead.) Next pencil in the embellishments of the leaf and lines around it.
2. Cut your fabric into a circle. (I used a drinking glass to trace around.)
3. Thread your needle with a couple feet of embroidery floss and start embroidering your outline and lines into the fabric using a backstitch.
4. When you’re done, cut your felt into a circle. Place it behind your fabric circle. Next, thread your needle again and attach the fabric and felt together around the edge using a whipstitch. This will hide the messy thread and give the patch some heft while creating a cute trim.
5. Attach a safety pin and you’ve got a patch to pin to whatever you like!
we’re all done!
A leaf patch to honor letting go!