Share this Post
All The Wonders This Week: December 3, 2019
Best of 2019 Lists, a third picture book by a favorite author/illustrator collaboration, and the upcoming #TeachGraphix Week. We’ve got all this and more. I’m Corrina Allen and this is All The Wonders This Week.
- Scholastic’s annual #TeachGraphix Week is coming up December 9th - 13th. They’ll be posting free classroom activities, resources, and daily videos on the Scholastic YouTube Channel from Graphix authors and illustrators like Raina Telgemeier, Dav Pilkey, Aron Nels Steinke, Kazu Kibuishi, Lauren Tarshis, and on Friday, December 13th we’ll get to see a video featuring Varian Johnson (The author of The Parker Inheritance among others) and his collaborator Shannon Wright discuss their upcoming graphic novel Twins and reveal its cover!! I’ll pop a link to the website where you can find all of that and also follow #TeachGraphix.
- The Tuesday after Thanksgiving - today, December 3rd - is celebrated in the U.S. and now globally as Giving Tuesday to extend the spirit of giving past that holiday and encourage generosity.
- December is also the time of year when we start seeing those Best of 2019 lists! So over the next few episodes I’ll mention a few each week that you might want to check out. First up this week the Center for the Study of Multicultural Children's Literature has released their Best Books of 2019 list - it includes 52 titles ranging from picture books through middle grade, nonfiction, and graphic novels. Some of the featured books are The King of Kindergarten, Magic Ramen, The Moon Within from previous guest Aida Salazer. They have released a best of list every year since 2013 so it is a treasure trove of great titles.
- And…. the motherlode of all children’s book best of lists - is from Betsy Bird. For the last three years she put out a best of list for every single day in December. So 31 Days, 31 Lists - Monday kicked things off with Great Board Books and amazingly - she has the entire month all scheduled out!
Today's New Releases
- One picture book that I know for sure you are going to want to see is the third picture book from Jory John / Pete Oswald - creators of The Bad Seed and The Good Egg - this one is called The Cool Bean.
- Also - continuing with the trend of Late Night hosts named Jimmy writing children’s books, Jimmy Kimmel has his debut picture book out today called The Serious Goose. It is written, illustrated, and lettered by Jimmy Kimmel himself and was inspired by his nickname for his kids.
Chapter Books / Middle Grade
- If you have kids who love creating and love LEGOS, there is a new book out called Incredible LEGO® Creations from Space with Bricks You Already Have: 25 New Spaceships, Rovers, Aliens and Other Fun Projects to Expand Your LEGO Universe
- And if you know a child you loves a good joke book, check out A Whole Lotta Knock-Knock Jokes: Squeaky-Clean Family Fun
- Who is Ruth Bader Ginsburg
- New Nathan Hale book 9th - Major Impossible The ninth book in the bestselling series tells the story of John Wesley Powell, the one-armed geologist who explored the Grand Canyon in 1869.
In the spirit of Giving Tuesday, I would like to give you the chance to win a book this week! Answer this question in the comments below:
Which book from The Center for the Study of Multicultural Children's Literature Best Books of 2019 list are you most excited about reading?
Add a comment with your answer before Monday, December 9th and I’ll randomly pick one winner to send a copy of the new Princess in Black book - Bathtime Battle!
Thank all of you for listening and sharing your Tuesday with us!
You can find an outline of the show and links to all the books and topics we chatted about at allthewonders.com. If you have a question or comment, I’d love to hear from you! You can contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or connect with me on Twitter or Instagram. And reviews on iTunes or Stitcher are always much appreciated.
The All the Wonders This Week podcast is brought to you by All The Wonders, where children's books are for everyone. Journey beyond the page with podcasts, videos, crafts, and more at allthewonders.com.
See you next week!